The Australian Lot Feeders’ Association (ALFA) is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information.
1. Collection of personal information
The Privacy Act (Cth) 1988 defines personal information to be “information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.” ALFA collects different kinds of information in a variety of ways.
(a) Website statistics
When a user visits the ALFA website, the server makes a record of the visit and logs the following information about the user’s environment:
· Server address
· Top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .net, .edu, etc)
· The time and date of the visit to the website
· The pages and documents accessed or viewed
· The type of browser being used No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except, in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the service provider’s logs.
ALFA will only record an email address if a user becomes a member of ALFA or registers for any of the site’s interactive tools. The email address will only be used to communicate to the member or registered user and will not be added to a commercial mailing list. We will not use a user’s e-mail address for any other purpose.
(c) Electronic forms
Personal information is collected by ALFA when users complete and submit one of the electronic forms on our website, register with us or access any services (such as email forums or discussion lists). This will include a user’s email address and may also include some personal information, such as contact details and other demographic information. Participants taking part in an ALFA public forum should be aware that their contact details are visible to other participants of the program. If you wish to have your contact details removed from the graduate listing facility, please contact the site administrator. The collection of this data is strictly voluntary and occurs only if the user chooses to register. In all cases and at all times, this personal information will only be used for the intended purpose for which it was provided and to allow access to resources and information provided to ALFA.
2. Use of personal information
ALFA uses personal information for the following purposes:
· The provision of services and content relevant to users.
· Website and system administration.
· To deliver a service, such as newsletters or conference management.
· To create and publish relevant content.
· To allow users access to limited-entry areas of our website as appropriate.
· Communication, statistics, research and development. ALFA may merge site-visitation data with anonymous demographic information for research purposes, and we may use this information in aggregate to provide more relevant content. ALFA occasionally hires other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, including mailing and delivering newsletters. We will only provide those companies the information they need to deliver the service, and they are prohibited from using that to provide any other company or person. No attempt will be made to identify individual users or their browsing activities other than for the purposes outlined above or as required by Australian law. The personal information collected on the ALFA website or contained in a user profile, will not be disclosed to a third party except where authorised by the user or required by Australian law.
3. Publication and control of personal information
When a user registers, or otherwise gives us personal information, ALFA will not share that information with third parties without permission, other than our development team for the purposes of testing, validating or upgrading its services. Personal information will only be used for the purposes stated above. ALFA will only publish personal information on its website if it has been collected for the purposes outlined above with your knowledge, or if you have otherwise consented to its disclosure.
4. Access to the personal information we collect
The information maintained for each registered user can be reviewed and modified at any time by clicking on the “Edit My Details” link. The accuracy of the user data is solely the responsibility of the user and not of ALFA. Should a user wish to remove their account, they can contact ALFA on the email address listed below.
5. Security of personal information
Personal information provided will be held by in the strictest confidence. ALFA takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold in our servers is not subject to loss, misuse or unauthorised access or alteration. ALFA also takes reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer required. While ALFA endeavours to implement the highest levels of security to protect users privacy while using its website. However it should be noted that there is an inherent risk associated with the use of an insecure public network such as the World Wide Web. Though minor, the potential does exist that a user’s transactions (including e-mail’s) may be viewed, intercepted or modified by a third party.
This privacy statement is written in accordance with Australian law, the Privacy Act (Cth) 1988 www.privacy.gov.au/publications/index.html and adheres to the National Privacy Principles in the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 www.privacy.gov.au/publications/npps01.html.
Australian Lot Feeders’ Association
ABN 16 009 928 018
Level 5, 131 Clarence Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Telephone: 61 2 9290 3700
Facsimile: 61 2 9290 2808